So today was a little crazy. After breakfast/chores, we had a discussion with Edwardo about the border between US and Mexico. Made me really ashamed how much money Americans are using to "protect" the border when not only is it causing problems such as violence but a lot of deaths. After this discussion, we returned to the worksite for the last time but we went to Rosijo's place and had our cement bucket line party. Today was a little harder because we were pouring the roof which is about 10-15ft so we had about 6-7 people on the roof passing or returning buckets. After the party with the cement, we had a festival with amazing food, dance party to "Waka-Waka" by Shakira, desert with cake were we faced planted two people into the cake(so glad that I kept quiet about my birthday or it would have been three), and then we had our group pictures with the families plus saying goodbyes to the families that we helped and communities.
In a way I'm sad and happy to leave tomorrow. Sad because we don't get to finish building the houses and honestly, I would have love to stay and finish it if I could. Happy because I really miss my family, friends, and of course, Kirkland, WA. I cant wait to come back home to Kirkland, but I think few of my family member are going to make fun of how much red I am. FYI, most of us have lighter hair so please don't have shocks of some sort. In conclusion, Tijuana, Mexico was the best way to spend a summer vacation. Bye and see ya later in less then 24hrs.
Love Alicja Cholewinska
It is currently 5:15 am. I tossed and turned in bed for the last hour reflecting over the week, excited about how I might share it with my family and friends. The irony of this trip is that as the American government builds bigger fences to keep people away from the border, Mexicans are improving the other side. The Tijuana Beach/Border Park is currently being renovated and is prettier than some San Diego beaches, while the "Friendship Park" on the San Diego side has been abandoned. This morning I have "Abriendo Puertas" by Gloria Estefan in my head. Although Cuban-American, the lovely Gloria wrote a song fitting to how I feel about my Mexican experience. Hopefully, we are opening doors and closing wounds. After all, esperanza means hope.
-Christine Cabal Culter
No comments:
Post a Comment