It's been a long day!
It sure has, same old morning routine has taken over my life, as I begin to get into a groove of waking early and getting ready quickly. This morning we laid the rest of the foundation and put our bucket line skills to good use yet again as the cinder-blocks were passed down the lot. Moving muddy blocks, piles of gravel, and mixing machines warmed us up nicely in the morning, especially considering the sun that joined us in the midmorning.
After lunch, five of us went over to prep the roof, laying cement beams across the ceiling and Styrofoam blocks in between those. The wooden supports between those and the floor are a little iffy, but I am certain that it will all be figured out by the time we are ready to pour. While we did that, the rest of the crew set up and ran a bucket line of cement to pour the base of the foundation in the afternoon heat. Frankly, I think we got the better deal.
This evening, we went to Casa del Migrantes, a transitional home for men recently deported and once again the injustice of what we have been seeing all along struck me. many of these men had been in America for nearly all of their lives, and as such, had become productive, contributing members of society. On the one hand, they are doing jobs that almost no born american would do, but on the other, they are in the country illegally, and there is a clearly laid out punishment for that. The solution is not easy, in fact it may not even exist, but further thought is definitely warranted on this topic. For now I content myself knowing that I am doing a little bit to help, in giving some people a reason to stay.
~J.B.
The difference between me and the people that we have met in Mexico is an accident of birth. I was lucky enough to be born 30 miles north of this area. Although I have been to Tijuana before, I have never really interacted with the people that live here, even though they literally are my neighbors. At Casa del Migrantes, I realized that some of these men could be the gardeners that my family hires on occasion or someone that I may have met in Lynden previously.
-C.C.C.
We were able to start pouring cement in the walls at Marta's house today. After 27 hopper loads we completed our work goal for the day. I ended up looking like a walking cement driveway, as I was totally covered in cement dust from helping feed the cement mixer, then getting squirted with the hose a few times by various people! Though tired and sweaty, everyone was in good spirits after giving their 110% positive attitude and effort today.
Visiting Casa del Migrantes this evening, a halfway house for men who have been deported to Mexico, was an eye-opener for me. I continue to ponder the very complex issue of immigration between the U.S. and Mexico. I know there's not an easy solution, but a reasonable solution can be possible if there is enough will to find an answer. I hope we can remedy this situation.
Well, gotta rest up to work mix and pour more cement. Maybe I'll give Uriel, one of Marta's sons, another piggy back ride or perhaps play some basketball with Lilly, one of Victor's daughters, a 9 year old. Oh, I just found some more cement on my skin that didn't get scrubbed off during my one minute shower... 8) ~~Ron Sangalang
No comments:
Post a Comment